Poppy-Teriyaki Glazed Chicken
Sweet plum preserves added to teriyaki sauce and poppy seeds give chicken a fabulous flavor. Serve with rice with scallions.
- Vegetable oil for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 plums
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- About 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup plum preserves
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, thinly sliced
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper and brown well. Remove and pour off the fat.
- Halve and pit the plums and place them cut-side down in the skillet. Brown well, remove and reserve.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and sauté the ginger and garlic for a minute or two. Add the teriyaki sauce and stock and whisk in the plum preserves and poppy seeds. Simmer to thicken and combine. Once the sauce coats a spoon, add the chicken back and turn in the sauce to coat. Cover and simmer to cook through.
- Serve the chicken with the plum halves and rice topped with lots of scallions alongside.