Potstickers with Sweet and Sour Slaw
Try Rach’s latest version of Potstickers and serve them on top of Sweet and Sour Slaw!
For the Potstickers:
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced, green tips reserved for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Few dashes Sriracha or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 16 round wonton wrappers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water, plus more as needed
For the Sweet and Sour Slaw:
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 head Napa Cabbage, shredded
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- To make the Potstickers, in a mixing bowl combine the chicken, ginger, garlic, scallion (save the green tips for garnish), 5-spice powder, hot sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.
- Cover the stack of wonton wrappers with a damp towel and get a small bowl of water. Working with a couple of wrappers at a time, place about 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture in the center of each wrapper and wet the edges by dabbing your finger in the water and running it around the edges. Fold the wrappers over to wrap the meat up (they’ll look like half moons). Press on the edges lightly to seal them and, if you like, crimp the edges for decoration. Continue filling and shaping the dumplings until all of the meat mixture and wrappers are used up.
- Place a large skillet with a lid over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of vegetable or peanut oil, about 1 tablespoon. Add the dumplings, flat side down, into the pan and sear until deep golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Add the stock to the pan and quickly place the lid on. Steam the dumplings until the meat is cooked through and most all of the liquid has been absorbed, 3-4 minutes (if all of the liquid absorbs but the potstickers aren’t done yet, add a few splashes more liquid and continue cooking).
- To make the Sweet and Sour Slaw, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons, about two turns of the pan, canola oil. Sauté the Napa cabbage, scallions and carrots until tender, about 5 minutes. While they are cooking, in a small saucepan, mix together the sugar, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. Heat through, then pour onto the cabbage mixture, toss and turn off the heat.
- Serve the Potstickers over the Sweet and Sour Slaw.