Serves 6 healthy, hearty servings
If you love Remy the rat chef in Ratatouille, then you’re bound to love this thick soup that shares the same name. C’est magnifique!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound small cut whole grain pasta
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- A few leaves fresh basil, torn or shredded
- Heat a deep pot over medium-high heat with three turns of the pan of EVOO, about 3 tablespoons. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, eggplant and zucchini. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and thyme. Cook until softened, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and chicken stock, bring the soup to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer. Stir in the pasta and cook to al dente, with a bite to it. Stir in the parsley and basil, adjust the salt and pepper and serve.