Red Waldorf Salad
This refreshing salad has a delicious blend of flavors and textures!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 4 small red beets, trimmed
- 1/4 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Gala apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 small ribs celery
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- 4 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Drizzle a little EVOO over the beets and wrap in foil. Ask a grown-up helper (GH) to roast the beets until tender, 35-40 minutes. Let cool in the foil, then rub off the skins with a paper towel (they’ll come off like magic!). Ask your GH to chop the beets.
- In a large bowl, combine the cranberry sauce and vinegar. Whisk in 1/4 cup EVOO and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the beets, apple, grapes, celery, red onion and walnuts. Toss the salad until everything is red!
- Place one lettuce leaf in each of four bowls. Fill with beet salad and top with shredded chicken.