Roasted Maple and Mustard Chicken
Fragrant aromas will waft through your home as you roast this well-balanced, complete chicken dinner.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds medium potatoes, skin-on and cut into wedges
- 4 crispy apples, quartered and cored then cut into 8 wedges per apple
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled, cut into 6 wedges each with root attached
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 5-pound chicken, quartered
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- About 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
- About 1/3 cup grainy mustard
- About 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- About 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons shallot, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
- Melt the butter in a small pan or microwave.
- In a shallow roasting pan, dress the potatoes, apples and onions with melted butter and season with salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Roast for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Dress the chicken with the EVOO, salt and pepper and arrange over the potatoes and onions.
- Combine the syrup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, stock, garlic and shallot in a small bowl. Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and potatoes and roast for 1 hour more.