Rollover Jerk Chicken with Roasted Vegetables and Pineapple
Rollover Suppers are meals from which the leftovers can be turned into a second or even a third night’s meal with entirely different flavor. Add a DVD of Johnny Depp as a pirate and you’ve got a night in the Caribbean with this recipe, plus a head start on two more nights’ meals!
Make this meal the first night, followed by Sweet and Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shredded Chicken on the second night and Jerk Chicken Quesadillas with Slaw Salad on the final night.
- 3 red onions, 1 roughly chopped and 2 sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 scallions
- 2 limes
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon cumin (a palmful)
- 2 teaspoons allspice (about 2/3 palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (eyeball it in your palm)
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus 2-3 tablespoons for drizzling
- 8 drumsticks, bone-in, skin on
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped or sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped or sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped or sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Place one red onion, garlic, scallions, lime juice, jalapeño peppers, red wine vinegar, orange juice, paprika, cumin, allspice, cinnamon and thyme in a food processor and pulse to combine. Turn processor on and stream in about 1/2 cup EVOO to form a thick paste.
- Place the chicken pieces in a roasting pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Rub the paste on the chicken and roast 45 minutes.
- Pile the pineapple, bell peppers and remaining red onions on a baking sheet, coat them in 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Add the tray to the oven after chicken has been in for 15 minutes, roasting the fruit and vegetables for about 30 minutes.
- Serve up half the chicken (one drummer and one piece of breast per person) and half of the roasted pineapple, peppers and onions for dinner.
- Cool leftovers before you wrap and refrigerate them.