Rollover Sweet and Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shredded Chicken
Rollover Suppers are meals from which the leftovers can be turned into a second or even a third night’s meal with entirely different flavor.
This meal is part two of a series that begins with Jerk Chicken with Roasted Vegetables and Pineapple, followed by Jerk Chicken Quesadillas with Slaw Salad on the final night.
- 1 pound spaghetti, whole wheat or plain
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- A 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/4 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- A couple dashes of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Half of the remaining chicken, skin removed and meat shredded (about 2 cups)
- Half of the remaining pineapple, peppers and onions
- 1 sack slaw salad mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) (16 ounces)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the pasta and cook to al dente.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the chicken stock in a small saucepan. Once warm, add the ginger, garlic, peanut butter, Tamari, hot sauce, canola oil and honey and whisk to combine.
In a large bowl, combine the leftover shredded chicken, peppers, onions and pineapple and 2 cups of slaw salad mix. Reserve the rest of the slaw salad mix for the next rollover supper.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the bowl. Pour the sauce over the noodles and toss to combine. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
Photo credit: Tina Rupp