Salmon Burgers with Tartar Sauce
Summer is just the time to try fresh salmon burgers slathered with homemade tartar sauce.
- 1 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped gherkins or cornichons
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each), chopped into 2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (2/3 palmful)
- A handful of cracker crumbs or fine breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Sliced lettuce, tomato and red onions
- 4 crusty burger rolls, split
- Mix together the mayo or vegan mayo with pickles, capers, dill, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Add the salmon to a food processor with 1/4 cup of the tartar sauce and pulse to finely chop and combine. Place the salmon mix in bowl and mix in cracker crumbs and Old Bay. Form four burgers.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil, a thin layer, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally, for barely pink centers and 2 minutes more for fully cooked fish. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato and onions and glue the tops in place with a slather of homemade tartar sauce.