These sliders will surprise you with an Asian twist.
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 seedless (English) cucumber, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound ground chicken or pork
- 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter, softened in microwave for 20 seconds on high
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 1-inch piece ginger root, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- A handful of chives, finely chopped
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 slider buns, such as Pepperidge Farm brand, or 8 small dinner or brioche rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- Place the vinegar and sugar in a small pot over medium-high heat; heat to a low boil to dissolve the sugar into the vinegar. Turn off the heat and stir in the mint.
- Combine the chopped cucumber, onion and red pepper in a bowl and pour the hot vinegar mixture over the top. Stir to combine and let stand, stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat with the Tamari (eyeball it), peanut butter, garlic, ginger, chives and black pepper. Form an even mound of meat, score it into four equal portions and from each portion form two patties, about 3 inches in diameter each.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden and firm.
- To serve, place a little shredded cabbage on the bun bottoms. Top with the patties, some cucumber relish and the bun tops.