Sausage and Shrimp One-Pot
Enjoy this hearty stoup on a cool evening!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound hot or sweet bulk Italian sausage or 1 pound of links, split from casings
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 pound large, peeled, deveined shrimp
- A handful of basil leaves, torn or shredded
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful), chopped
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- Pre-heat the oven to 325˚F.
- Heat a large, high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat with the EVOO, a couple of turns of the pan. Add the sausage and crumble and brown it for 3-4 minutes, then add the peppers, onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes more so that the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, then stir and bring up to a boil. Add the shrimp and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 5 minutes, then uncover and stir in the basil and parsley. Turn off the heat.
- Crisp the bread in the hot oven. Serve the stoup in shallow bowls with crusty bread alongside for mopping.