Sherry-Shallot Warm Brussels Sprouts Slaw
A whole new way to serve up Brussels sprouts!
- 2 pints Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons sherry or sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- Set up a food processor with the slicing blade. Run the Brussels sprouts through the processor to slice them, as you would cabbage when making coleslaw. If you don’t have a food processor, you can cut the Brussels sprouts in half, lay them on the flat side and finely slice them. If you need help slicing the sprouts, be sure to ask a grown-up helper (GH) to lend a hand.
- Set the sliced sprouts aside. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the shallots and sliced sprouts to the pan and cook until they are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Season the sprouts with salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with the sherry or sherry vinegar and sugar, cooking until most of the sherry or sherry vinegar has evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the zest of the lemon or orange. Serve warm.