Shish Kabobs with Spanikopita Orzo
Serve these delicious kabobs and orzo with Greek Salad with Yogurt Dressing alongside.
For the kabobs:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- 2 pounds lamb top round or shoulder steaks, cut into bite-sized cubes
For the orzo:
- 1/2 pound orzo, regular or whole wheat
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 cups spinach, divided
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat the broiler or grill.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat to boil the orzo. Salt the boiling water and cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large mixing bowl whisk together 3 tablespoons EVOO with the oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Toss the lamb cubes in the mixture to coat. Thread the lamb onto metal skewers (wooden skewers are ok, too, just soak them in water for 20 minutes prior to use). Broil or grill the lamb until seared and cooked to medium doneness, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- While the lamb is cooking, prepare the orzo: Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, add the vegetable stock and about 2 cups of spinach to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add the puree to the pan with the onion and garlic to heat through, about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the reserved orzo, the remaining whole leaves of spinach, feta and some salt and pepper.
- Serve the shish kabobs over the orzo with a Greek salad alongside.