At last, Rach makes hot dogs sloppy Joe-style! You can use tofu dogs to make this a vegetarian meal.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound beef, pork, turkey or tofu hot dogs, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty split-top hot dog rolls, toasted and lightly buttered
- Suggested garnishes: chopped tomatoes, chopped pickles and yellow mustard
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the hot dogs to the pan and cook until golden brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and continue cooking until the veggies are tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook until darkened and aromatic, about 1 minute.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Add the mixture to the pan, then season with salt and pepper and simmer until thickened and saucy, about 5 minutes more.
- Pile the sloppy meat onto the toasted, buttered buns. Top with tomatoes, pickles and mustard.