- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 16 tomatillos, paper skins removed and rinsed thoroughly, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 small, ripe avocados, pitted and scooped from skins
- 4 crusty rolls, such as Kaiser rolls
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 plum or small vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bag healthful corn tortilla chips, such as brown rice and black bean, flax seed or blue corn and sesame – a variety of brands are available on the snack aisle of larger grocery stores
- Pre-heat the broiler to high.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the ground turkey breast and get aggressive with breaking it up – it’s 99% lean so it takes some doing to break it down.
- While the turkey is browning up, place the tomatillos in a food processor and pulse into a coarse sauce. Add the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeño to the browned turkey and season with lime zest, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then add stock and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- While everything is simmering away and getting “sloppy,” mash the avocados with lime juice using a fork.
- Split and toast the rolls until light golden under the broiler.
- To assemble a Sloppy Dude, slop turkey and tomatillo filling on bun bottom top with onions and tomato and slather the bun tops with mashed avocado before setting in place. Serve with a few chips alongside.