Sloppy Joe Goes Veggie
At last, Joes go vegetarian-style!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound portabello mushroom caps, wiped clean and diced into small, bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (eyeball it)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty rolls, regular or whole grain, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- Sliced or chopped dill pickles, for garnish
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pan and season liberally with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes more. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Add the mixture to the skillet and simmer until thickened and saucy.
- Pile the Sloppy Joe mixture onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and top with pickles and bun tops.