Slow Cooker Meal: Chicken and Biscuits
Get out the crock pot in the morning for this one-pot comfort meal of chicken, veggies and biscuits; serve in the afternoon or early evening.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 leaves fresh sage, sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 store-bought biscuits
- Dredge the chicken pieces in 1/2 cup flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken pieces on all sides.
- Place the browned chicken, butternut squash, celery, carrots, onion, sage, thyme, 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper into the slow cooker. Mix to combine, then pour in the chicken stock. Cover and cook, undisturbed, 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Just before serving, add in the peas, Dijon, most of the dill and most of the parsley into the slow cooker. Mix to combine and warm the peas through.
- To serve, place a biscuit in each bowl, spoon the chicken mixture over the biscuits and top with a little more dill and parsley.