Smoky Chicken Skewers with Bacon-Wrapped Sweet Potato Kabobs and Maple-Cream Dipper
Fire up the grill for this marvelous marinated chicken with smoky bacon-wrapped sweet potatoes.
- 1 red hot chili pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken meat, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 24 1/2-inch slices peeled sweet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices smoky bacon, halved
- Cooking spray or olive oil, for brushing
- 2/3 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- Combine the chili pepper, garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, paprika and parsley in a plastic food storage bag and add the chicken. Marinate for 1 hour, then skewer the chicken on metal skewers with the onion and bell peppers.
- Pre-heat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a large pot, boil the sweet potatoes for 7 minutes in salted water to partially cook them. Drain and cool until the potatoes are cool enough to handle. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Wrap 12 slices of sweet potato in bacon and skewer on metal skewers, layering every other potato with a potato wrapped in bacon. Skewer the potatoes so that as much surface area is exposed as possible. Dress the potato kabobs with oil or spray with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the meat kabobs for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, or until the chicken is cooked through. The sweet potato kabobs should take 10-12 minutes to cook the bacon and mark the potatoes. Combine the sour cream with syrup as a dipper.