Smoky Roasted Eggplant Pasta
Pureed eggplant, roasted garlic and peppers in a tomato sauce are four tasty ingredients that top pasta, the fifth ingredient in this simple meal.
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium, firm eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 1 head garlic
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 can whole fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Drizzle the eggplant halves with EVOO, salt and pepper and place them cut side down on a baking sheet. Cut the head of garlic to expose the cloves at the ends; drizzle liberally with EVOO, salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and place alongside the eggplant. Roast for 40-45 minutes.
- Char the peppers over an open gas burner flame. Transfer to a bowl and cover until cool enough to handle. Peel and seed the peppers, then roughly chop.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt the water. Cook the spaghetti for 10-12 minutes, or until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of starchy cooking water before draining.
- Scoop the eggplant flesh from the skin and add to a food processor with the roasted garlic and peppers.
- Heat the tomatoes in a saucepan over medium-high heat and crush them up with a potato masher. Stir the vegetable puree in with the tomatoes and starchy cooking water and heat through, then toss with spaghetti and serve.