Smoky Salmon with Watercress and Bacon-Corn Couscous
Experience the crisp texture of watercress salad on top of salmon with a tasty bacon-corn couscous alongside.
- 4 salmon fillets, skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1 large or 2 small bundles upland cress or watercress
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 slices smoky bacon, chopped
- 1 ear corn, kernels scraped from cob
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, finely chopped or 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A couple of tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 1 cup couscous
- Season the fish with salt, pepper and smoked sweet paprika. Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a shallow nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, cook the fish for a few minutes on each side until just cooked through or a bit pink at the center; you can gauge doneness very simply by looking at the side of the fillets as they cook.
- Meanwhile, dress the watercress with the lemon juice and a little EVOO, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, then add the corn, pepper and scallions or onion and stir for 2-3 minutes until tender-crisp. Add the stock, dill and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Add the couscous and turn off the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Top the fish with the watercress salad. Fluff the couscous with a fork and serve alongside the fish.