Spanish Shrimp and Chorizo with Sweet Pea Couscous
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped (about a handful)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 large to jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- A pinch of saffron (you can substitute saffron powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 2 cups couscous
- 3/4 pound chorizo, sliced
- In a shallow bowl, combine the smoked paprika, garlic, hot sauce, parsley, lemon juice, a tablespoon EVOO and the salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the shrimp, toss to coat and let marinate.
- While the shrimp are marinating, combine the saffron, turmeric, lemon zest, butter and 1 1/2 cups chicken stock in a medium size saucepot. Cover and place over high heat to bring up to a boil. Once boiling, add the peas, let it come back up to a boil and add the couscous. Give it a quick stir, cover the pot, remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring every now and then, for about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook another 4-5 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the skillet, then cook about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- To serve, divide the couscous between four serving plates and top with some shrimp and chorizo.