Spicy Hummus Subs
Full flavored hummus topped with crisp veggies on freshly baked rolls makes a scrumptious vegetarian-friendly sub.
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 3 tablespoons water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 Fresno chili pepper, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (1/3 palmful)
- A small handful of flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 6-inch sub rolls
- For the fixin’s: shredded romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, sliced banana peppers, chopped giardiniera (hot pickled vegetables) and sliced olives
- Process the chickpeas, tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic, chili, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor while streaming in EVOO until the hummus is smooth.
- Split the sub rolls and fill with the hummus; top with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onions, banana peppers, pickled vegetables and olives.