This high protein salad can also make a great snack to keep kids’ energy up between school and afterschool activities. You can swap in diced chicken for the bacon, and it’s also wheat- and gluten-free!
- 4 ounces sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into cubes
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring often, until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 1/2 tablespoons water into the mayonnaise; season with salt and pepper. Divide the romaine wedges among four plates and drizzle with half of the mayo dressing.
- Using an egg slicer, slice each egg lengthwise, then crosswise. Sprinkle 1 egg on top of each wedge; top with the cooked bacon, the carrot, tomatoes and avocado. Season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with the remaining dressing.