Sweet and Sour Thai Noodle Bowls
Asian flavors with sautéed chicken or pork tossed with veggies and noodles and accented with lime make this meal a winner.
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound chicken or pork cutlets, very thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced and thoroughly cleaned
- A couple generous handfuls of shitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger root, grated
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup or honey
- 2 limes, zest and juice of 1, the other cut into wedges, divided
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 2 cups shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Cilantro or basil, chopped, for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Add salt and cook pasta to al dente.
- When the pasta goes into the water, heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken or pork, brown and transfer to a plate.
- Add the leeks and mushrooms to the skillet and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a minute more. Stir in the Tamari, agave syrup or honey, lime zest and juice and hot sauce, to taste. In a large serving bowl, toss the veggies with the meat, noodles and lettuce to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro or basil and serve with lime wedges alongside.