Sweet Potato Mash Topped with Caramelized Banana
Replace the traditional marshmallow topping with the natural sweetness of bananas.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced on the bias
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Zest and juice of 1 orange, divided
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- Boil the potatoes until tender; drain and reserve.
- Return the pot to the stovetop over medium heat and add the butter and orange juice. Cook for 1 minute, then add the stock and brown sugar. Add the reserved potatoes back to the pot and mash until combined. Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper and the orange zest, to taste.
- Pour the potatoes into a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish and layer the banana slices over the top, overlapping them like shingles. Sprinkle the top with the sugar and broil until caramelized.