Part soup and part stew…It’s a stoup! This blend of pasta and veggies, including high-protein chickpeas, is sure to become a new family favorite. Leftovers work well in a thermos for lunch!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 zucchini, grated with the large side of a box grater
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces)
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup store-bought pesto sauce, available in the refrigerated case at the grocery store
- Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Add the zucchini, carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, red peppers, tomatoes and stock and place a lid on the pot to bring it to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente, 6-7 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in the pesto sauce. If the stoup gets too thick, stir in a little water. Taste to adjust your seasonings, remove the bay leaf and serve.
Photo credit: Tina Rupp