- 1 box whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Ground black pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus some for passing at the table
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 ounces), drained
- 2 boxes frozen spinach (10 ounces each), thawed and squeezed in a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture
- 2 cans tuna in water (6 ounces each), drained
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil to cook the pasta. Once at a boil, add some salt and the pasta and cook until al dente, according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly, return it to the pot and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, and the butter. Cook the garlic and onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for another minute, then whisk in the chicken stock and half-and-half and season with salt, ground black pepper and nutmeg. Bring it up to a bubble and thicken.
- Turn off the heat, then fold in the parsley, grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, cannellini beans, spinach, tuna and penne. Pour the mixture into a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Place in the oven to brown the topping, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite simple salad alongside.