Turkey Burgers with Cranberry-Pomegranate Sauce
Enjoy this healthy burger with its red, fruity sauce that’s filled with antioxidants for Valentine’s Day and all year long!
For the sauce:
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup 100% cranberry juice
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2-1 cup sugar
For the burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons each parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 slices extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 large sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
- Butter, for toasted muffins
- 8 pieces Bibb or leaf lettuce
- Combine the cranberries, juices and sugar in a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the cranberries pop. Reduce to thicken the sauce, about 15 minutes or so. Allow the sauce to cool.
- Combine the turkey with the herbs, shallot, garlic, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper and form into four large patties. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the patties for 5-6 minutes on each side. During the last minute of cook time, cover the burgers with cheese and tent the pan with foil to melt the cheese.
- Lightly butter the toasted sandwich-size English muffins and set the burgers on top. Top with slices of lettuce and lots of cranberry sauce, then set the muffin tops in place.