Turkey Chili, Cheddar and Bacon Burgers
Now here’s a yum-o! burger that will keep you satified and healthy!
- 8 slices applewood bacon or turkey bacon
- 1 1/3 pound ground turkey or ground turkey breast
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chile powder or 2 tablespoons dark chili powder mixed with 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 thick deli slices cheddar cheese
- 4 crusty onion Kaiser rolls, split
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, any brand
- Broil the bacon or cook it in the microwave until crisp. To cook in the microwave, place four slices bacon per row between paper towels and cook four minutes on high; turkey bacon will only cook 2-3 minutes. To cook under the broiler, place bacon on slotted pan and broil six inches from heat, three minutes on each side; turkey bacon will on cook two minutes per side. Drain cooked bacon and reserve.
- Mix ground turkey with bell peppers, scallions, poultry seasoning, chipotle chile powder, and salt, and form four big patties.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook patties in vegetable oil until cooked through, 5-6 minutes on each side. Melt cheese over burgers the last minute they are in the pan by tenting the pan loosely with foil.
- Place roll bottoms on plates and top each with lettuce, cheeseburger and two slices bacon. Spread a few tablespoons barbecue sauce on each roll top and set in place.