Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie and Cran-applesauce Sundaes
Thanksgiving for four, for any day of the year!
At Yum-o!, we believe in all things in moderation. Special treats like the Cran-applesauce Sundaes included in this recipe are to be eaten once in a while and only after you’ve been a good eater the rest of the time. That’s why it’s called a treat!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 packages ground turkey (a little over 2 pounds) or chopped leftover turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 4-6 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- A few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 box frozen peas (10 ounces)
- 1/3 ripe banana (4-5 slices)
- A few dashes of hot sauce
- 2 cups sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
For the sundaes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-natural applesauce
- 1/2 cup good quality whole berry cranberry sauce, such as Ocean Spray brand, in tubs on the canned fruit aisle at the grocery store
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 pints French vanilla reduced fat ice cream
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted pecans, available on the baking aisle at the grocery store
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
In an ovensafe deep skillet or a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO over high heat. Add the meat and break it up with a wooden spoon, then season with the salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
Place the sweet potatoes in a pot and cover them with water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, salt them and cook for 15 minutes, until tender.
Grate the onion and carrots into the turkey. Add the celery and stir, then cook for 5 minutes.
While the vegetables are cooking, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add the flour to the melted butter, whisk for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken the sauce for a few minutes.
Stir the peas and the sauce into the meat and turn the heat off.
Drain the potatoes and return the pot to heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat. Peel and slice the banana and add the potatoes to the pot. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce. Mash the potatoes and banana to combine and adjust the seasonings, to taste.
Top the meat with the potatoes. Cover the potatoes with the cheese and set in the oven. Bake to melt the cheese, about 5 minutes.
- For dessert, warm the apple and cranberry sauces in the microwave or in a small pot over low heat and season with cinnamon and orange zest. Place a little cran-applesauce in the bottom of each of four sundae dishes, then top with two scoops of ice cream, more sauce and a small dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with a few chopped pecans.