Veal Scallopini with Green Beans and Mashed Potatoes
Nina is only 13 years old, but she sent us this luscious recipe that she loves to make with her dad. It’s a full meal!
- 4 veal scallopini cutlets, pounded thin
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 large potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put two large pots filled with water on the stove over high heat.
- Cut off both ends of the green beans and set aside.
- Line up two shallow bowls and one plate.
- In first bowl, crack the two eggs and whisk together.
- In the second bowl, add one cup of flour.
- On the plate, spread out the breadcrumbs.
- Cover both sides of each piece of veal with the flour, then the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture in that order.
- Once the water is boiling in the pots, add potatoes (with skins on) to one pot.
- Put beans in the second pot of boiling water.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add two tablespoons of EVOO to the pan. When the oil is smoking, but not too hot, add the veal cutlets. Cook 2-3 minutes per side until they are crispy and lightly browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil beans for six minutes then drain in a colander. Toss with one tablespoon butter and salt to taste.
- Check the potatoes by sticking a fork into one of them. If tender, then they are done. If not, let cook another five minutes. Drain in a colander and add back to the pot. Add two tablespoons butter and 1/4 cup of milk and mash together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put one cutlet, some beans and a dollop of potatoes on each plate.