- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large, firm eggplant, half peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 rounded tablespoons mild red curry paste, available on the international foods aisle at the grocery store
- 1 can chickpeas (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup mango chutney (a couple of heaping tablespoons)
- Sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- A handful of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Thinly sliced scallions
- Store-bought naan bread or whole wheat pitas
- Prepare the rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is simmering, start the curry: heat a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the EVOO, two turns around the pan, eggplant, onion and bell pepper. Cover the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook about 1 minute more, then add the vegetable or chicken stock, curry paste and chickpeas.
- Stir in the mango chutney and salt and simmer for 1-2 minutes over low heat for the flavors to combine. Remove the curry from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, ladle the curry into shallow bowls, then scoop the rice into the center of the bowls. Garnish the curry with lots of toasted almonds, cilantro and scallions and serve with naan bread or pitas alongside.