Vegetable Soup with Dumplings
Serve this hearty vegetarian soup after fall and winter games and practices.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 2 onions, cut into half-inch dice
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into half-inch dice
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock (use vegetable stock to keep this dish vegetarian)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 box biscuit mix (8 ounces), such as Jiffy brand, prepared according to the box directions
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot with a lid over medium heat with the EVOO. When the EVOO is hot, add the celery, onions, carrots, potato, zucchini, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir and cover, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, raise the heat to bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low to keep a rolling simmer.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or small pot and combine with the flour and Dijon mustard to make a roux. Whisk the roux into the soup.
- Prepare the biscuit mix according to package directions, adding parsley to the dough.
- Stir the peas and tarragon into the soup. Use 2 teaspoons to drop small, walnut-sized dumplings into the soup and cover the pot with the lid. Cook for 6 minutes, then uncover and check that the dumplings are firm. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately.