Whole Wheat Linguine or Spaghetti with Peas and Herbs
Lovely shades and scents of green herbs and peas mix with pasta and cheese in this meal.
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain linguine or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shelled spring peas or 2 cups defrosted frozen organic peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Finely ground pepper
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat a pot of water to a boil for the pasta; once boiling, salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat with the EVOO, two turns of the pan. Add the butter to the EVOO and melt. Add the onion and garlic and cook to soften, 5-6 minutes.
- In a saucepot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Drop the peas into the stock and cook for 5 minutes. Remove half of the peas and add them to the skillet. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper and let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a food processor, add the parsley, tarragon, mint, lemon zest, remaining peas and the stock. Process until combined.
- Just before draining the pasta, reserve a cup of the starchy cooking water, in case the sauce is too thick.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the peas. Add some starchy cooking water and toss vigorously for 1-2 minutes. Top with cheese and serve.