Whole Wheat Mac ‘n Cheese for the Family
Everyone can play a role in preparing this recipe, and the whole family will enjoy eating it, too! But shhh, don’t spill the beans about the secret ingredient! Serve with a green salad alongside.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (this is your SECRET INGREDIENT!)
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta, cooked to al dente
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed until almost tender, 6-7 minutes
- In a saucepot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and milk. Thicken the sauce for 5 minutes, then stir in the cheese; season with salt and pepper. Finally, stir in your secret ingredient, Dijon mustard!
- Toss the sauce with whole wheat pasta and steamed cauliflower.