Yum-o! Sweet and Spicy Baked Beans
This recipe was served in Chicago Public Schools (CPS) as part of a collaboration between Yum-o!, CPS and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Originally created to be served in schools, we’ve adapted the recipe here for you to try at home.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cans kidney beans (15 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup store-bought barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water (to thin out if beans become dry)
- Place a medium size saucepot over medium heat and add the EVOO, one turn of the pan. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly tender. Add the garlic and cumin during the last minute or two of cooking and stir to combine. Add the beans, barbecue sauce and hot sauce to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a light simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. If the beans start to dry out, add a little water to thin.