Even picky eaters will eat their veggies thanks to this lasagna!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3-4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans whole Italian plum tomatoes, such as San Marzano (28 ounces each)
- 9-10 leaves basil, torn
- 2 cups ricotta cheese, skim or whole
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (about a handful)
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped (about a palmful)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 boxes no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the zucchini and garlic to the pan and sauté until tender and wilted down, 5-6 minutes. Season the veggies and remove to a large bowl.
- Return the pan to the heat and add in the butter, tomatoes, basil and some salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, crush the tomatoes to make a chunky sauce. Bring the liquids up to a simmer and reserve warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta, herbs, egg yolk, Parmigiano Reggiano and some salt and pepper.
- In a large lasagna pan, assemble the dish by first ladling about a quarter of the sauce into the bottom of the dish. Next, place enough pasta noodles in a single layer to cover the bottom (be sure and leave a little bit of room between them for them to expand during cooking). Top the noodles with a quarter of the sautéed zucchini mixture. Cap the veggies off with another layer of noodles followed by about a quarter of the ricotta, another layer of noodles and more sauce. Continue building the lasagna in this way until you’ve used up all the fillings, ending with red sauce on the top. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes with the foil on, then remove it and continue baking for another 15 minutes until the noodles are tender and the cheese is browned.