Chick Chick Veggie Pasta
This pasta recipe was sent to us by Debby and her daughter, Megan. Little Meg helps with the chopping and grating of veggies as well as during clean up time, too – what a great kid!
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (spaghetti or penne)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 lemons
- Grated Grana Padano cheese (grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese may be substituted)
- Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (you can use leftovers!), sliced
- Boil pasta as directed on the package.
- While pasta is cooking, put large skillet on stove over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle EVOO into pan and add all of the veggies except the garlic and peas.
- Sauté veggies for about five minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Add peas, garlic, salt, pepper, red chili flakes and juice of two lemons.
- Drain pasta when done cooking and reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water. Add pasta and reserved pasta water to sauté pan with veggies and heat for one minute.
- Transfer pasta and veggie mixture to a bowl and top with cheese, lemon zest, parsley and chicken strips.
Recipe courtesy of Yum-o! The Family Cookbook.