That’s Shallota Flavor Spaghetti
Rachael says, “I make this ALL THE TIME! It is an absolute FAVE! Made with 10 shallots per pound of whole wheat spaghetti, you cannot believe the flavor of this pasta dish. It’s like a bowl of French onion soup, hold the broth. It’s a knockout. Serve with a spinach or arugula salad on the side for a simple supper any night."
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10 shallots, halved, then thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- A generous handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan or about 1/4 cup, over medium-low heat in a high-sided skillet. Add garlic and shallots to warm EVOO. Season with salt and pepper, then gently cook to caramelize them, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta, salt the water very liberally, then add spaghetti to rolling boil. Cook to al dente.
- Add three ladles of starchy pasta water, about 1 1/4 cups, to the shallots and stir.
- Drain pasta and add to shallots. Add the parsley and cheese and more black pepper, to taste. Toss 1-2 minutes for liquid to absorb and serve. WOW! Talk about yum-o!